S.A. Garcia's Mutterings, Whimpers and Rants

S.A. Garcia's Mutterings, Whimpers and Rants. World Domination by 2020. Or 2025. Probably never.

Friday, April 27, 2012

More Trauma in the Urban Garden


Sometimes I wonder why I bother trying to nuture an urban garden. I have ranted about the devious groundhog which lives in a huge burrow in my garden and refuses to step into the humane trap I set on a weekly basis. The crazy squirrels dig up my seeds. Feral stray cats leave poop all over the place. There’s a hawk that periodically kills song birds and leaves just the feet and beak for me to find. Stepping on that in bare feet is a real treat.

Tonight I discovered I have another big critter problem.

I need to back up a bit. Recently large items have been knocked over in my snug garden. Garden angels, a metal bird bath, large pots awaiting their flowers and one long planter on an old bench have suffered. I blamed the activity on the crazy squirrels.

Last night I discovered that my five foot tall potted Norfolk pine had been knocked over. Such activity seemed excessive for squirrels.

Today as evening claimed the sky, I went out on my porch and stared in amazement. A few days ago I had replaced the coco liners in two hanging baskets and replaced the dirt but did not re-hang them. This evening the dirt scattered across the porch. The new coco liners had vanished. I searched around the yard. They were gone. Surely no squirrel had performed the mischief, not unless they worked as a team. Hell, if the squirrels in my garden were that bright, I expected them to erect a walnut pyramid.

Mere minutes ago a loud noise prompted me run to the kitchen and turn on the porch light. Wet paw prints led away from the bucket I use to catch rainwater. I emerged onto the porch in time to see a large furry beast with a distinctive striped tail disappear up a rain spout. Loud thudding shook the porch roof. Scrambling sounded then silence.

Yes, now a raccoon invades my garden. A freakin’ raccoon! I wondered who ate all the sage in my herb garden. To date Queen Groundhog has never eaten my herbs.

I am ready to give up and charge admission as a small zoo. Think I can score some grant money?








No comments:

Post a Comment